In the realm of bariatric health, the journey to comprehend vital nutrients often leads to questions about one powerful player: Vitamin D. Today, it’s my plan to simplify the significance of this sunshine vitamin and its critical role in the context of bariatric health.
Why Vitamin D Matters:
Vitamin D is like a supportive friend for your entire body. It’s essential for maintaining strong bones, supporting a robust immune system, and regulating mood. Bariatric patients, in particular, benefit from a closer look at vitamin D because:
- Bone Health: After weight loss surgery, maintaining strong bones is a priority. Vitamin D ensures that your body can absorb calcium effectively, which is crucial for bone health.
- Immune Support: A well-functioning immune system is essential for everyone but especially vital for bariatric patients. Vitamin D helps strengthen the body’s defenses.
- Mood and Well-being: Many bariatric patients face changes in mood. Vitamin D plays a role in managing mood and reducing symptoms of depression.
- Weight Management: There’s a link between vitamin D levels and weight management. Ensuring you have adequate vitamin D can help support your weight loss goals.
The Vitamin D Sources:
Vitamin D comes from a few primary sources:
- Sunshine: Your skin produces vitamin D when exposed to sunlight. For bariatric patients, a short daily walk can be an excellent way to boost your levels.
- Diet: Some foods contain vitamin D, including fatty fish like salmon, eggs, and fortified products like milk and cereal.
- Supplements: Many bariatric patients need vitamin D supplements to maintain adequate levels.
Vitamin D and Bariatric Health:
Bariatric patients often face challenges in absorbing nutrients. This can lead to deficiencies, including vitamin D. Regular monitoring through blood tests is crucial to ensure you’re maintaining healthy levels.
Vitamin D isn’t a complex puzzle but a crucial piece of the bariatric health journey. By simplifying its importance and highlighting the sources and role it plays, my goal is to empower you to make informed choices.
Remember, a bit of sunshine, a balanced diet, and possibly a supplement can keep your vitamin D levels in the sunny zone, supporting your path to better health.
For high-quality vitamin D, specifically formulated for bariatric patients, visit this CLICK
About the Author: Sheri Burke is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Bariatric Surgery Coordinator at International Patient Facilitators in Tijuana and Cancun, Mexico. She has worked with bariatric surgery clients for over 10 years and especially enjoys providing nutritional guidance to pre and post bariatric clients. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her husband and two teens and cooking up a nutritional storm in the kitchen.
For bariatric patients Bariatric Expert Amazon Line
Time for a “bariatric expert” multivitamin? Here is a perfect way for bariatric patients to get it now on Amazon: Bariatric Expert MultiVitamins.
Eat Like a Bariatric Expert with our Nutrition Plans.
Feel free to share your victories and struggles in our Facebook Group. I would love to connect with you.
Click on the picture