Dr. Verboonen has dedicated the last 18 years of his professional career as a bariatric surgeon to the understanding and the treatment of obesity illness. He has performed over 12,000 lap band, gastric sleeves, plications, mini gastric bypass, full gastric bypass, and duodenal switch operations as well as revision or conversion surgeries.
Dr. Sergio Verboonen and his team operate in Tijuana, Mexico but he also have a program in Cancun, Mexico where patients can have the option and opportunity of having their surgery performed in one of the most beautiful tourist destinations in Mexico.
International Patient Facilitators (scheduling and facilitation service) works together with Dr. Sergio Verboonen’s International patients in order to provide a well organised, seamless experience to all patients traveling for Bariatric Procedures.
Dr. Verboonen is considered one of the most experienced bariatric surgeons worldwide. He is one of the pioneers in Mexico for Bariatric Surgery. He has extensive training in Mexico, USA, Canada, France and the Netherlands.
- Member of the Mexican Society of Endoscopic Surgery (asociacion mexicana de cirugia endoscopica)
- Regional delegate of AMCE 2002-2003
- Consejo Mexicano De Cirugia General approved 09023
- Member of the Mexican Society of Bariatric Surgery (sociedad mexicana de la cirugia de la obesidad, a.c.)
- Member of the Medical College of Tijuana: (colegio medico de Tijuana)
- Member of the General Surgeons College of Tijuana (colegio de cirujanos generales de Tijuana a.c.)
- Member of the IFSO ( international federation surgery obesity).
- Past President of the General Surgeons College of Tijuana; 2002-2003.
- Member Mexican Society of General Surgery (AMCG Asociacion Mexicana de Cirugia General)
- Member of Colegio Posgraduados en Cirugia General Member of Latin American Society of Endoscopic Surgery (ALACE ASOCIACION LATINOAMERICANA DE CIRUGIA ENDOSCOPICA)
- Member Latin American Federation of Surgery (FELAC Federacion Latino americana de cirugia)
- Member of the Broadcasting Board for the Mexican Association of Surgery for Obesity and Metabolic Diseases 2009-2011
- Member of the Mexican Association of Surgery for Obesity and Metabolic Diseases AC
- Member of the Council of General Surgery AC. Certification as a Specialist in General Surgery
Sheri Burke and Dr. Sergio Verboonen, Discuss Bariatric Surgery in Tijuana Mexico
Sheri Burke from International Patient Facilitators and Dr. Sergio Verboonen discuss Bariatric Surgery in Tijuana, Mexico. https://international-patient-facilitators.com/bariatric-videos
Courses and Congress
( COURSES AND CONFERENCES )
CERTIFIED FROM THE MEXICAN COLLEGE OF SURGERY FOR OBESITY AND METABOLIC ILLNESSES (COLEGIO MEXICANO DE CIRUGÍA PARA LA OBESIDAD Y ENFERMEDADES METABÓLICAS D AC)
CERTIFIED FROM THE MEXICAN COUNSEL OF GENERAL SURGERY (CONSEJO MEXICANO DE CIRUGÍA GENERAL AC)
MEMBER OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF HOSPITALS (ASOCIACIÓN DE HOSPITALES DE BAJA CALIFORNIA AC)
FEB 26th – FEB 27th 2016
MEXICAN COLLEGE OF SURGERY FOR OBESITY AND METABOLIC ILLNESSES (COLEGIO MEXICANO DE CIRUGÍA PARA LA OBESIDAD Y ENFERMEDADES METABÓLICAS AC)
COORDINATOR at Multidisciplinary Congress and Surgical Management for Type 2 Diabetes (Congreso Nacional de Manejo Multidisciplinario y Quirúrgico para Diabetes Tipo 2)
26th to 29th of August 2015
20th World Congress of the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic disorders in Vienna Australia (CME, EACCME) RECORD attendance
2nd and 6th of May 2015
Mexican Association of Endoscopic Surgery (Asociación Mexicana de Cirugía Endoscópica A.C.)
Mexican College of Endoscopic Surgery (Colegio Mexicano de Cirugía endoscópica A.C.)
XXIV International Congress of Endoscopic Surgery (XXIV Congreso Internacional de Cirugía Endoscópica) RECORD attendance
For his outstanding contribution as a professor in the Graduate Course II
Titled to 15 years into the Laparoscopic Bariatric Surgery for Outstanding Participation as secretary in the session on free jobs (Oral and Video category ) .
For assisting to the XXIV International Congress is Endoscopic Surgery.
For his outstanding contribution as a professor in the Graduate Course.
Titled Obesity Surgery for the general surgeon with the title: Band Complications and its management.
For his outstanding contribution in the Course as coordinator .
Postgraduate Titled Obesity Surgery for General Surgeons.
March 31st 2015
Mexican College of Obesity Surgery and Metabolic illnesses (Colegio Mexicano de Cirugía para la Obesidad y enfermedades Metabólicas A.C.)
February 6th to 7 th 2015
Mexican Association of Endoscopic Surgery (Asociación Mexicana de Cirugía Endoscópica A.C.)
Mexican College of Endoscopic Surgery (Colegio Mexicano de Cirugía Endoscópica A.C.)
Proof Assistant to Limited Cures without borders in Bariatric Surgery, 8th. Regional Reunion, Tijuana Baja California 2015.
Proof Coordinator in the course Limits without borders in Bariatric Surgery, 8th. Regional Reunion, Tijuana Baja California 2015.
Proofing Professor with the subject on Gastric Sleeve and Mini Bypass.
October 30th – 31st 2014
- Obesity and Diabetes Surgery Symposium
- The Faculty of Medicine of University of Yucatan
- The College of Yucatan of General Surgery specialty.
- College of Anesthesiologists of Yucatán A.C.
- Participation as invited professor with the management theme “Multi disciplinary of the morbidly obese patient”.
March 7-8th 2014
- XVI International Day of Obesity Surgery University of Malaga
- Diabetes surgery with half BAGUA: Oponentel advantages
September 11th 2013
- Mexican Council of General Surgery AC
- Certification as General Surgery Specialist
2012 to 2013
- International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders
- Official member of IFSO
- November 2013 – Acapulco Guerrero, International Congress of General Surgery 2013
- November 2013 – Professor in the Graduate Course I Bariatric Surgery Lap Band a First Look
- November 2013 – Postgraduate Coordinator in the Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery II Course
- November 2013 – Tijuana, Baja California, Future and Controversies Module III Current Status ofMetabolic Surgery
- October 2013 – Tijuana Baja California, XVI National Congress of Nursing Surgical Innovation andProfessional Commitment – a surgical practice, safe peroperative care.
- August 2013 – Baja California, College of Aesthetic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons Baja California AC Professor item Bariatric Surgery
- July 2013 – Ixtapa Guerrero, XV Congress of Surgery for Obesity and Metabolic Diseases, Coordinating and Assistance – Interactive Video Conference with Key Note.
- May 2013 – Mazatlan Sinoloa, XXII International Congress of the Mexican Association of Endoscopic Surgery , Speaker and Attendance in Pre Bariatric surgery congress course on the Theme: Roundtable for teachers lap band to sleeve technical indications of Gastric Sleeve , Coordinator during the pre. congress Bariatric Surgery. – surgery support demonstration
- April 2013 – Mexico Distrito Federal, Surgery Support Demonstration
- April 2013 – Mexican College of Endoscopic Surgery AC
- April 2013 – Member of the Mexican Association of Endoscopic Surgery AC
- February 2013 – Mexicali Baja California, The College of Surgeons of Mexicali General AC and Sociedad Mexicana de Colon and Rectal Surgeons
- February 2013 – AC, XIII Congress of the College of Surgeons of Mexicali BC, Reporter and Assistant to the Indications and Technique of the Gastric Sleeve Topic.
- Member of IFSO for the International Federation of Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Disorders
- December 2012 – University Touro Nevada, New York NY 4th International Consensus Summity for Sleeve Gastrectomy Sleeve (ICSSG) competitor
- December 8 2012 – New York City International Consensus Summit for Sleeve Gastrectomy
- December 30 2012 – Las Vegas NV, MCE Conferences, Participant in Improving Pain Management in Primary Care Medicine
- March 2012 – Puerto Vallarta Jalisco, The Mexican Association of Surgery for Obesity and MetabolicDiseases AC – Professor in Anatomy and Strategy Paper placement Lap Band
- May 2012 – Puerto Vallarta, Mexico XXI International Congress of Mexican Association ofEndoscopic Surgery X Latin American Congress of Endoscopic Surgery
- April 2012 – Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, XXIII World Congress of Endoscopic Surgery
- April 2012 – XXI International Congress of Endoscopic Surgery
- April 2012 – X Latin American Congress of Endoscopic Surgery
- April 2012 – Pre conference course Coordinator and Endoluminal Bariatric surgery
- April 2012 – Professor ongoing pre.congress and Endoluminal Bariatric Surgery Complications with the topicEarly Delayed Gastric Banding
- May 2011 – Los Cabos Baja California Sur Mexico, Mexican Association of Endoscopic Surgery AC Coordinator at the symposium “Current Status of Bariatric Surgery
- Assistance XX International Congress of Endoscopic Surgery
- Assistant in Paper Session (Oral and Video Category)
- May 26, 2011 – Los Cabos, San Lucas, Mexican Association of Endoscopic Surgery AC Member of Local Commit
- July 7-10, 2010 – Zacatecas, colegio Mexicano de cirugía parea la obesidad y enfermedades metabolicas/ coordinator / 12th National Congress
- July 11-12, 2010 – Tuxtepec, Oaxaca, Participant of the Papaloapan Medical Congress
- May 4-8, 2010 – Cancun, Quintana Room, Professor of the Obesity Course and CoAuthor of “Rescuing the Bypass with Gastric Band” XIX International Congress
- March 12-13, 2010 – Puebla, Puebla, Professor in the congress during the Metabolic surgery National Meeting
- October 27-29, 2010 – Guadalajara Jalisco Mexico, Asociation of General Surgery B.C. Professor for Delayed Complications of the Gastric Band , Coordinator – Congress of Metabolic Surgery
- Nov. 1 – 6, 2009, Acapulco, Assistant Professor in the 18th International Congress for Gastric Bypass Surgery Demonstration and VSG Demonstration and Lap Band demonstration.
- Nov. 1 – 6 2009, Acapulco, Professor of Endoscopic Surgery Course at the 18th International Congress
- July 2 – 4 2009, Cancun, Quintana Roo, Attended the XI National Congress for Obesity Surgery
- Attended to the V International Congress Of General Surgery in Guadalajara and Coordinator of the Sleeve Gastrectomy Module. Guadalajara, Mexico . March 2008
- Attended to the V International Congress Of General Surgery in Guadalajara and Professor of the theme: Retire the band, how, when and why? Guadalajara, Mexico. March 2008
- Attended the V International Congress Of General Surgery in Guadalajara and Professor of the theme: Why adjust the band? Guadalajara, Mexico . March, 2008
- Attended the XV Congress in Tijuana and Coordinator of the bariatrics surgery Module. Tijuana Mexico. March 2006
- Attended XV AMCE Congress. Ixtapa Mexico. May 2005
- Attended and professor at the Pre-congress course of bariatric surgery organized by the Colegio Mexicano de Cirugia de Obesidad. Mazatlan Mexico. June 2006.
- Attended to the 10th World Congress Endoscopic Surgery. Berlin, Germany.
- Attended XXX Congress by the AMCG Congreso internacional de Cirugia General . Acapulco Mexico. November 2006.Curso de Endoscopia para el cirujano general organized by the AMCG. Acapulco Mexico. November 2006
- XIV Congreso Internacional by the Colegio de Cirujanos Generales de Tijuana. Tijuana, Mexico
- Titular Profesor in the XIV AMCE Pre-congress course in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
- Attendance and Professor in the VII Congress by Sociedad Mexicana de Cirugia de Obesidad (SMCO ). Los Cabos, Mexico. July 2005
- Attendance 10th World Congreso of the Internacional Federation for the Surgery Obesity, 19th Symposium on Obesity Surgery. Maastrich, Netherlands. September, 2005.
- Professor and attendee to the XXVII Transcongreso de la AMCG in Merida, Mexico. November, 2005
- In February, attended the pre-congress course of bariatric surgery in Cancun organized by AMCE (XIII) and to the 8th World Congress Endoscopic Surgery. Cancun, Mexico. February 2004
- Professor in AMCG XXVIII Congress in Leon Guanajuato.
- President of the Colegio de Cirujanos Generales de Tijuana.
- Organizer of the XII Congreso Internacional by the Colegio de Cirujanos Generales de Tijuana, as well as the Pre Congress. in Tijuana. B.C.
- Coordinator of the Bariatric Surgery Module
- Attendance to the AMCG XXVII Congress of Veracruz, Veracruz Mexico.
Prior to 2003
- ATLS American college surgeons 30-31 jul/93.
- Presentation in the I Latin American Congress and the III National Congress of Endoscopic Surgery ” (experiencia con toroscoscopia video-asistida en hospital general de Tijuana) may 21, 1994.
- Lap band system work shop Tijuana B.C. Mex. Mar 15-18, 2001
- Every year to the Anual Congress of AMCE.
- Bariatric course by Mexican Society of Bariatric Surgery, Cancun Q. Roo Mexico May 5-6, 1999
- SMCO (Mexican society of bariatric surgeons) III annual meeting, Cozumel Q. Roo Mex. Jul 5-7, 2001.
- VIII Mundial IFSO Congress; Chania Creta; Sept. 3-5, 2001.
- ASBS 19 th annual meeting Jun 24-29, 2002 Las Vegas, Nevada.
- SMCO (Mexican society of bariatrics surgery) IV annual meeting Huatulco Oax. Mexico. Jul-2002 (assistant)
- SMCO (Mexican society of bariatrics surgery) IV annual meeting Huatulco Oax. Mexico. Jul-2002 (teacher of lap band laparoscopy).
- Mid band work shop Sept. 19-26, 2002.Lyon France AMCG (Mexican asociation general surgery) annual meeting; Transcongress Bariatric Course Teacher. Nov 01-03 2002
- Acapulco Gro Mex. Pre-congress course XII Tijuana, B.C. Mexico.
- Tijuana College of Surgeons (bariatrics course the president and teacher) feb 25 -26 excel hospital. XII International Congress Tijuana College of Surgeons (President).