The Holidays are the perfect time to be with family, friends, and co-workers celebrating at different restaurants and homes. How can you make good choices when traveling and dining out?
Some easy tips to follow:
- Go online and review the menu PRIOR TO arriving at the restaurant so you can choose without pressure.
- Avoid alcohol and sugary drinks. Drinking sugar will go straight to your belly because sugar stimulates the hormone insulin and insulin is our fat-storing hormone.
- Choose a meat like grilled fish, chicken or steak without sugary sauces or glazes. (Ask for it on the side)
- Choose steamed or roasted vegetables, even most airport restaurants allow you to order a side of veggies sautéed in olive oil or just steamed.
- If having a salad, use vinegar & oil for the salad dressing, because most dressings contain nasty oils and too much sugar.
- Ask to substitute carbs and starches for more veggies
- If traveling out of town sock up on plenty of nuts, nut butters, veggies, and low sugar fruits to have packed in a cooler for the ride.
- If flying, once you arrive at your destination stop at the local grocery store and buy fruits, vegetables, avocados, nuts, nut butters, seeds, etc so you always have something you can eat.
- If you are staying with family for several days offer to prepare a meal so you can show off your new healthy eating and cooking habits.
- Try to be the one picking the restaurant when dining out, most people love a leader.
- Don’t be afraid to say, “No thank you, I’m good”! Trust me, you will feel empowered by those words.
Enjoy your fabulous family, the dysfunction and all, because life is just too short to sweat the small stuff!
Sheri Burke, Bariatric Coordinator and Bariatric Nutritionist
P.S. Be sure to pack your favorite protein powder !
You’ve Got This! You’ve already overcome many obstacles just to have bariatric surgery, just keep going. Feel free to share your victories and struggles in our Facebook group. I would love to connect with you.
Make December YOUR Month!
Reach out to our Forum www.medicalchatmexico.com
Much success in your journey.
International Patient Facilitators – Cancun and Tijuana, Mexico
Dr. Sergio Verboonen and Sheri Burke – Bariatric Coordinator and Nutritionist.
1 800 210 5124
Reach out to us if you have questions !