What does a proper portion look like after bariatric surgery?
- Always speak to your bariatric nutritionist in order to ensure you are meeting your macronutrient requirements.
- Each meal or snack should not exceed three to six ounces at one sitting.
- You should aim to have 1/2 of your meal consisting of protein such as chicken, fish, eggs.
- Almost half of your meal should consist of vegetables such as green salad, broccoli, cauliflower.
- You can take an optional bite or two of carbohydrate which are high in fiber such as quinoa, legumes or other such vegetables like turnips.
- Aim for 800 to 1200 calories each day while you are actively losing weight.
- Aim for 60 to 80 grams a day of protein.
- Aim for a lower carbohydrate intake but eat your high fiber vegetables. Eat less than half of the number of grams of carbohydrates than you do for your protein. For example, if you eat 60 grams of protein, aim to eat less than 60 grams of carbohydrates.
- Aim for 20 grams of fat per day, preferably unsaturated fat.
- Breakfast: 1 scrambled egg with 2 tbsp of onions and pepper with a small slice of avocado.
- Lunch: 3 ounces of salmon with 4 brussel sprouts and 1 tbs of olive oil for veggie roasting.
- Dinner: 2 meatballs with 1/3 cup zucchini noodles and marinara sauce with 1 tbsp parmesan cheese.
- Optional Snacks: 6 ounces greek yogurt, raw veggies for dipping, 1/4 apple, 1 tbsp peanut butter.
About the Author: Sheri Burke is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Bariatric Surgery Coordinator at International Patient Facilitators in Tijuana and Cancun, Mexico. She has worked with bariatric surgery clients for over 10 years and especially enjoys providing nutritional guidance to pre and post bariatric clients. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her husband and two teens and cooking up a nutritional storm in the kitchen.
For high quality specialized plant protein for bariatric patients Bariatric Expert Protein Powders
Time for a “bariatric expert” multivitamin ? Here is a perfect way for bariatric patients to get it now on Amazon: Bariatric Expert MultiVitamins.
Eat Like a Bariatric Expert with our Nutrition Plans.
Feel free to share your victories and struggles in our Facebook Group. I would love to connect with you.
Stay motivated with Bariatric Wristbands – post your results online !
Comments are closed.